The wonderful Les Enfants de Dieu (EDD) centre for street children in Kigali Rwanda is looking for volunteers. Please read, consider, pass on to like minded people.
EDD is looking for a new volunteer English teacher from March 2013! Please see the detailed role description below and feel free to re-post, email to friends and share!
English Teacher at Les Enfants de Dieu from March 2013 (or soon after).
Les Enfants de Dieu is a centre for boys, who formerly lived on the streets, based in Kigali, Rwanda. The centre has an on-site school for students in the grades of Primary 1 and Primary 2. There are two qualified teachers on the payroll who teach to the National Rwandan Education Curriculum standards in the subjects of maths, science, Kinyarwanda, social studies, and English. The boys in grades Primary 3 through Primary 6 attend a local government school and their school fees are paid by the centre.
The role of a volunteer English teacher would be to teach English in Primary 1 and Primary 2 – each class has ten 40-minute lessons of English each week.
Furthermore, it is the teacher´s responsibility to help the boys who attend the local Primary school (grades Primary 3 – Primary 6) improve their English skills through supplementary English classes outside the standard curriculum.
The length of the volunteer position is a minimum of three months with the option of an extension. Children are organised in classes based on English ability rather than age. The number of classes and work hours are reasonably flexible and can be rearranged based on the volunteer’s preference.
The centre has a library which contains well over 4000 books as well as a wide range of games (outdoor games, board games, jigsaw puzzles etc.), art supplies and newspapers. It is the volunteer´s responsibility to manage the library and to open it for the boys to read, draw and play games.
Responsibilities and duties are as follows:
· Teach English Monday-Friday (approx. 8 am -4 pm) in Primary 1 and Primary 2
· Open and manage the library
· Offer supplementary English classes for Primary 3 – Primary 6
· Create an original curriculum and lesson plans
· Recognise gaps in the standard English curriculum and work towards addressing them
· Work with teachers to supplement the national curriculum
· Work with teachers to develop new teaching strategies, ideas, and skills
· Work with students on homework assigned from school
· Interact and speak English with the boys outside of the classroom
· TEFL qualification is required
· Experience in a classroom setting or teaching role
· Experience of working with students learning English as a second language
· Experience in the field of social work or a related profession
The centre offers lunch and basic accommodation free of charge for the volunteer: a bedroom, a small sitting room and a bathroom with a Western toilet, bathtub and a wash basin.
The room is located on the premises of the centre, therefore it can get loud at times as there will be children singing, playing or talking close to the room.
If desired the centre can also assist in finding private accommodation nearby but the volunteer must cover the cost.
Questions and requests for more information should be directed to the project manager, Rafiki Callixte: email@example.com
If you would like to apply, please submit a letter detailing why you want to work for our organisation and what skills you will bring to the project, to the above email address. If you are interested in our project, please consider applying! We would love to have you here!
Thank you for spreading the word!